TIER 1 (INVESTOR) VISA
An Introduction to Tier 1 Investor Visa
The Tier 1 (Investor) visa is designed to encourage high-net-worth individuals to make substantial financial investments in the UK. It enables non-EEA nationals who invest a minimum of £2m in the UK to come to live and work in the UK with their families.
Tier 1 (Investor) migrants and their families may be eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) (also known as permanent residence or settlement) after five years (or potentially after two or three years under one of the accelerated routes, if willing to allocate £10 million or £5 million). After remaining in the UK for five years, including at least one as a permanent resident, Tier 1 (Investor) migrants and their dependants may qualify for British citizenship.
You can apply for a Tier 1 (Investor) visa if you meet the following criteria:
• you want to invest £2,000,000 or more in the UK.
• you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland.
• you meet the other eligibility requirements.
You must have access to at least £2,000,000 in investment funds to apply.
How long it will take?
• The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel. Example: You can apply from 16 March if you plan to travel on 15 June.
• You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
How long you can stay?
• You can come to the UK with a Tier 1 (Investor) visa for a maximum of 3 years and 4 months.
• You can apply to extend this visa for another 2 years.
What you can and cannot do:
• work or study
• apply to settle after 2 years if you invest £10 million.
• apply to settle after 3 years if you invest £5 million.
• apply to settle after 5 years if you invest £2 million.
• work as a professional sportsperson or sports coach.
• get public funds.
You also cannot work as a doctor or dentist in training unless one of the following applies:
• you have a primary degree at bachelors level or above in medicine or dentistry from a UK institution that holds a Tier 4 sponsor licence or is a UK recognised or listed body.
• you worked as a doctor or dentist in training the last time you were in the UK.
• neither of those conditions were part of the terms and conditions on a previous visa.
If you would like to know more about the Tier 1 (Investor) Visa please click here and complete our contact form or call us:
London Office: 0207 096 1932
Sevenoaks Office: 01732 446462